If you’re struggling with crow’s feet, deep creases on the forehead, or deep wrinkles around the nose and mouth, you might be looking for a way to turn back the clock. These are common signs of aging skin, and countless methods exist to treat fine lines and wrinkles.
Keep reading to learn what causes wrinkles and how to find the best treatment to smooth lines and wrinkles for your unique skin needs.
What Causes Wrinkles?
Wrinkles happen, but some people are more prone to developing them. Genetics plays a part in how our skin changes, so if your parents developed deep lines or wrinkles, you may be especially susceptible to lines and wrinkles. Additionally, skin type can also be a factor. For instance, people with dehydrated skin may show wrinkles and fine lines more than someone with oily or well-hydrated skin. When skin ages, several other changes occur in the dermis, which may cause lines and wrinkles.
Collagen and Elastin
Two proteins that make our skin youthful are collagen and elastin. Collagen keeps the skin plump and firm, preventing dark circles in the eye area. Elastin helps give your skin its elasticity, or its ability to be stretched and snap back into place.
However, by age 20, we lose collagen and elastin production at 1% per year. Less collagen and elastin means skin will lose its contour, and deep wrinkles and fine lines will begin to develop.
Skin Cell Turnover
The skin constantly renews itself, making new skin on a constant cycle. When we are younger, the cycle is rapid, but as we get older, the process slows. For example, adults make new skin every 28-30 days, and older adults may only make new skin every 45-50 days.
When skin cell turnover slows, skin tone can become dull, fine lines appear more prominent, and it takes longer for dark spots to fade.
Free Radical Damage
UV rays are the number one cause of premature aging on the skin. Sun exposure targets the skin with UVA (burning) and UVB (aging) rays. These rays create free radicals in the skin, which damage skin cells and cause lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, and dark spots.
Free radicals come from sources other than the sun. Pollution, cigarette smoke (including second-hand smoke), and even some household cleaning products can all cause free radical damage that can prematurely age our skin.
The choices we make play a role in how our skin will age. If we don’t protect ourselves with sunscreen, we’ll experience sun damage. If we don’t sleep enough, collagen production may decline. In addition, habits like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can also cause unwanted changes in the skin.
Thankfully, we have solutions to protect our skin and help it stay youthful-looking for longer.
How To Combat Fine Lines and Wrinkles
The field of dermatology is jam-packed with solutions for combatting lines and wrinkles. From topical products, to fillers, injections, and non-invasive microcurrent technology, there are several solutions to help you achieve the skin of your dreams. Here are several tips to help you combat fine lines and wrinkles.
Broad-spectrum sunscreen is the best skincare product to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. Wearing an SPF 30 or higher and wearing sun protection (hats, glasses, etc.) when exposed to the sun can protect you from photodamage and reduce your risk of more severe issues, like skin cancer.
Level Up Your Skincare
Choosing cleansers, moisturizers, and serums with nourishing ingredients is vital for helping your skin stay youthful. Some of the best skincare ingredients are hyaluronic acid, peptides, vitamin C, and antioxidants:
- Hyaluronic acid: This natural acid is found in our skin and helps deeply hydrate and protect the skin from moisture loss. Hyaluronic acid can hold up to 1,000 times its molecular weight in water, preventing moisture loss for 24 hours after application. This helps skin to remain plump and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Hydrating Aqua Gel Activator is an excellent source of hyaluronic acid to deeply moisturize skin and lock in moisture.
- Peptides: Both collagen and elastin are proteins, which means they are made up of chains of amino acids called peptides. Including peptide products in your skincare routine can support your skin’s ability to make collagen and elastin, thus helping your skin’s youthful appearance.
- Vitamin C: Known for its ability to brighten and rejuvenate the skin, vitamin C is an excellent source of antioxidant power.
- Antioxidants. Your skin’s first line of defense against free radicals is antioxidants. These molecules support your skin cells during exposure to damaging free radicals.
These ingredients are all wrapped up in products like NuFACE Aqua Gel Activator and Silk Crème Activator. Our proprietary blends also feature IonPlex®, our powerful mineral ion blend that helps hydrate skin to conduct microcurrent treatment.
Microcurrent therapy sends low-level microcurrent electrical pulses to the deepest layers of skin. This re-energizes the skin and facial muscles, to tone, lift, and contour while smoothing fine lines and wrinkles. NuFACE devices are aesthetician-created, FDA-cleared, and clinically proven to tone and tighten skin. Whether you’re hoping to get a lifted, sculpted appearance, or target fine lines on the skin’s surface, there is a NuFACE Microcurrent Treatment for you.
In addition, NuFACE offers a LED Red Light attachment, which helps to smooth full-face wrinkles in just 3 minutes per treatment area.
How Do You Add Microcurrent to Your Skincare Routine?
It’s easy to add microcurrent skincare to your current routine. NuFACE Trinity® Complete has all the Trinity attachments for your Red Light and Microcurrent routine.
- Prep: Start by cleansing with an oil-free cleanser like Prep-N-Glow® Towelettes.
- Smooth with Red Light Wrinkle Reducer Attachment: Place Trinity® with Wrinkle Reducer Attachment directly onto the skin in one of the seven target areas. Hold in place until you hear the beep, or approximately 3 minutes.
- Boost: Boost your lift & target your unique skin needs with Super Booster Serums. Choose your favorite Super Booster Serum, apply a few drops onto your fingertips, and massage into clean, dry skin until fully absorbed. Mix our Super Booster serums for added benefits.
- Activate & Lift: Apply a mask-like layer of Microcurrent Activator to prep your skin before using your device. We recommend Aqua Gel for deep hydration and Silk Crème for brightening and tightening. Then, use your favorite NuFACE microcurrent device for a whole routine to help decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improve the appearance of a more contoured and toned face with facial contouring, tone, and deep hydration. Results are immediate and cumulative over time.
- You can also use our new Supercharged IonPlex® Mist before, during, and after your lift to enhance hydration and refresh skin. Hydrated skin helps minimize lines and pores caused by dehydration. In addition, it’s easy to take ionic skincare with you wherever you go.
Smooth Skin Without Downtime
You don’t have to settle for invasive treatments to get the anti-aging skin benefits you want. All it takes is a few minutes a day and your favorite microcurrent device from NuFACE. Look youthful and stay current. NuFACE brings the power of Microcurrent Technology into the palm of your hand for toned, smooth skin.