If you’re struggling with blemishes, you’re well aware of how bothersome they can be. Read on to learn more about why blemishes pop up, how you can get rid of them, and what preventative measures you can take to avoid them altogether.
What Are Blemishes?
Blemishes come in various sizes and colors but can generally be understood as imperfections on your face. Whether they appear as big, red zits or white, pus-filled bumps, blemishes of all types can be persistent and can certainly take a toll on your self-esteem — especially when you just aren’t sure how to combat them.
What Causes Blemishes?
Blemishes typically appear when pores get clogged with dirt, grime, or oil. Certain skin types, like oily skin, are generally more likely to end up with blemishes. In general, an overproduction of sebum or a build-up of dead cells on the skin contributes to the appearance of breakouts and blemishes.
From clogged pores to UV damage, many factors can prompt blemishes.
Whether you haven’t been washing your face enough or getting a deep enough cleanse after wearing makeup and sunscreen, clogged pores are one of the leading causes of breakouts and other skin concerns.
Sebaceous glands produce oil known as sebum. When your pores are clogged with sebum, dirt, dead skin cells, and bacteria, your skin is prone to blemishes and breakouts. These breakouts can leave scars that will be harder to get rid of.
If you’re skipping out on your daily SPF, your skin is also at risk of damage from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. Not wearing sunscreen, even indoors, can accelerate your skin’s aging, darken your blemishes, or contribute to blemish marks after they clear.
How Can You Get Rid of Blemishes?
Certain skincare products can work to address blemishes and even help with aftercare. When applied topically, specific nutrients, like vitamin C, can reduce redness or diminish the appearance of dark spots. Incorporating blemish-fighting products into your daily skincare regimen can help keep your skin clear.
Incorporate NuFACE® Super Boosters
NuFACE’s innovative microcurrent technology is making waves in the skincare industry — but it doesn’t stop there. Aesthetician-created Super Booster serums help to enhance microcurrent treatment results and can also be used as a stand-alone skincare product with skin-loving ingredients.
- Super Vita-C Booster Serum: This booster serum is formulated to help fade dark spots and discoloration from previously healed blemishes, leaving you with a brighter and more even skin tone. This booster is also helpful in protecting your skin from future damage when combined with SPF!
- Super Peptide Booster Serum: Formulated to firm skin and add radiance, this serum can help smooth out skin texture where old blemishes have left skin dry and rough by promoting hydration for an overall more youthful glow.
- Super Antioxidant Booster Serum: Antioxidants shield your skin from pollutants and free radicals. This booster can protect the skin from environmental stressors, such as blue light, that can trigger blemishes.
Choose Blemish-Fighting Active Ingredients
There are many active ingredients in skincare products that are credited with reducing breakouts.
- Salicylic acid, probably one of the most common anti-breakout ingredients found in OTC skincare, can aid in unclogging pores and preventing new breakouts from appearing.
- Benzoyl peroxide can help clear away breakout-causing bacteria and remove excess oil and dead skin cells from the skin.
- Azelaic acid may help shield pores from blockage and has cleansing and purifying properties.
It can take trial and error to find what works best for you, and your dermatologist is your best resource during this process.
Wash Your Face Twice a Day
Keeping your skin clear is no small feat but cleansing your face twice daily is a great place to start. Opt for a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser so you won’t irritate your skin or cause damage to your complexion.
We suggest Prep-N-Glow® exfoliating and hydrating dual-sided wipes — one side cleanses your skin of dirt, oil, and makeup, while the other exfoliates your skin to help reduce blemishes. Use these wipes before applying a booster serum for optimal results!
Typically, washing your face with your fingertips and lukewarm water for at least 30 seconds is all you need for a proper cleanse. If you are wearing makeup, consider double cleansing or following up your first cleanse with Prep-N-Glow Wipes to thoroughly clean skin and add light exfoliation to your routine to slough away dead skin cells.
Use a Non-Comedogenic Moisturizer
To make sure your skin doesn’t dry out and overproduce oil that could break you out, it is crucial to moisturize after every cleanse — but it is definitely worth making sure that your moisturizer is non-comedogenic, meaning the product won’t clog your pores.
Your skincare regimen should help your skin concerns, not worsen them. Choosing a non-comedogenic moisturizer can help ensure that your products work with you rather than against you.
However common and natural blemishes are, no one wants to be inconvenienced by breakouts, nor does anyone want to suffer the scars they can leave behind. Incorporating the right products into your skin care regimen will help you to achieve clear, radiant skin.